Here are some questions to think about at you watch my PowerPoint:
- Are his explosions art? Then is the show Myth Busters art?
- Does art have to mean something or can it just be “cool”?
- Some people have accused him of just making a grand display – a “stage set,” thrilling, but with no deep meaning. Is this valid?
- Does it matter that he often destroys his art when he makes it?
- He leaves a lot to chance. Why? Is he shirking his responsibility as an artist, or is he allowing “greater forces” to work?
- Do you like it? Why?
He has worked for many years on a great variety of projects. For more information check out his website below. The most fascinating part of the website for me was his unique take on failure. You’ll find that by clicking on Texts, then Writings by the Artist. It’s called Foolish Man and his Mountain.
And watch him work:
You can also borrow Art 21: Season 3 from the Ohlone Library. He’s in the section entitled Power.