How to Talk About Art
1. Formal Analysis: What do you see?
(Talk about medium, composition (arrangement) of visual elements such as line, shape, texture, space, value, color)
Sometimes the visual elements are described as line, space, light, color, texture, composition. It’s all good.
2. Iconographic Analysis: What does it mean?
(Talk about symbolism)
3. Contextual Analysis: What does it come out of?
(Talk about background)
Question: How are iconographic and contextual analysis related?
Let’s Talk about Formal Analysis (Only what it looks like) first:
- Medium = what it is made of (oil, pastel, paper, charcoal, mixed media etc).
- Composition = Arrangement of visual elements
- Visual Elements:
- Space (perspective)