- Formal Analysis: What do you see?
- Medium: What it’s made of.
- Composition: How the visual elements are arranged. Or how the space is arranged.
- Visual Elements: Line, shape, texture, space, value, & color.
- Iconographic Analysis: What does it mean? (Symbolism)
- Contextual Analysis: What does it come out of? (Background)
Today we are going to discuss the visual elements line, shape and texture. Space, value and color will be discussed separately.
- Straight: Vertical, horizontal, diagonal
- Angular vs Curved
- Analytical vs Expressive
How does Piet Mondrian use line?
What kind of line do you see – or not see – here?
Why did Jacob Lawrence paint like this? Are they individuals?
What feelings do Grant Wood‘s paintings give you? How does he achieve this?
What about Wayne Thiebaud? Is it realistic? What is important to him?
Why build up a surface? What does the effect do? What would happen if you touched a Jackson Pollock?
MGP Andersen, Only the Monstrous Anger of the Guns, 2013